Monday, January 5, 2009

today was the first day of my babysitting job, with a beautiful little 3-month-old girl. it went better, and worse than i imagined. better in that micah was a tremendous help to me, and rowan wasn't too distraught at not being able to be held and nursed as often as he's used to. worse in that the baby cried a good bit of the time she was here, and it took some finagling to get her to take her bottle. it's weird, but i kind of forgot how much babies cry. micah was pretty fussy in the evenings when she was an infant... i remember many nights of walking the floor with her downstairs at our townhouse, pacing in the dark kitchen, watching the shadows our plants cast on the walls and singing "my rifle, my pony and me." rowan was not fussy at all as an infant. in fact, i only remember having to walk and bounce him one or two times. i think the baby girl i'm taking care of will get used to me and our house this week. i hope she feels safe here soon! and i hope she likes me. i didn't have to leave the house with all three kids today like i thought i was going to. micah and rowan had a pediatrician appointment, but i called and rescheduled it for thursday, because of the nasty weather. i know the roads were safe today, but i just didn't feel like going out. their shots can wait till thursday. murphy's law says they'll both get polio on wednesday... i shouldn't joke about things like that.

i have the creeps tonight. josh went to a friend's house for a bit, and i keep hearing funny noises, and every little sound around the house is making me jump out of my skin. but i have my big, scary pit bull to keep me safe. yeah, right... if her saliva was venomous, maybe that'd work.

i'm writing a story. that's all i'm telling... i haven't gotten anywhere with it, just a bare-bones outline. i have a feeling i'm actually going to finish this one. it's a collaboration, actually, between josh and me. we tried this once before, writing a story together. i think the idea was good, but then we started some classes at richland and it fell by the wayside. this idea is even better, and we can spend our evenings working on it. josh is great at seeing all the angles, and i'm good at developing characters, so hopefully it'll be interesting. maybe no one will ever read it besides us, but who cares?

i'm excited about tomorrow night. 24 is one of my favorite television shows, and it's been off the air for a year or so, i believe, because the writers were on strike. now it's back on, and the season premiere airs sunday. but first... they made a feature-length season preview episode, which i am going to watch with my dad and stepmom tomorrow night, after a yummy dinner of my dad's out-of-this-world pork chops (at my request). i love doing stuff like this! josh will feed the kids dinner and get them into pajamas, and all i'll have to do when i get home is nurse them to sleep. it'll be so relaxing after a couple of somewhat stressful first days of my new job. : )

No comments: